Se io fossi vento, Sarei con te sempre.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Snow, Skiing, and Italian Dogs


We left again for Sestriere late Thursday night. It was so snowing so much! I have never driven in so much snow before! The sky was pitch black besides for the car lights, which illuminated the pieces of snow. The speed of the car combined with the speed of the snow falling created a truly, amazing effect. When you looked out the front window it looked like a scene from a movie.. some sort of vortex -whirlwind made of streams of light.  All day on Friday it snowed and snowed and snowed. Everything was completely covered! I thought that the previous weekend had been cold, but this day was definitely the coldest.  However, with two tanktops, a long sleeve shirt, sweater, down vest, tights, 3 pairs of socks, jeans, and my coat I kept pretty warm. I think I have Finally figured out how to stay warm in cold weather.

With my new winter wear I certainly was warm outside in the freezing snow. Inside though was a whole new problem… We meet the family’s friends for dinner at a restaurant called Al Mulino. Inside the restaurant it was nice and toasty and for most people who were not wearing 11 layers of clothes quite nice. I took off as many layers as I could and I was still sweating. I even contemplated going to the bathroom to take of my tights, but I didn’t have a purse and I didn’t think it would look too good if I came back to the table holding only my tights….ah mamma mia. I was about ready to pass out I was so hot. Other than feeling like I was standing in the Tucson sun wearing a parka, dinner was great. A lot of the waiters have become my friends as we eat at the restaurant at least once a day while we are in Sestriere. Too bad this place is two hours from Milan. Anyways the family friends were really nice. However, they brought both their dogs to the restaurant- one is a giant dobberman who caused a huge scene the entire night- barking, scaring children, etc! There aren’t any rules about dogs in restaurants in Italy so people bring them everywhere and feed them whatever the rest of the table is having. The dogs might as well have had their own seats at the table with everyone else….

The best part of the weekend was that I learned to SKI!!!!! I love skiing and apparently I am really good at it. At least that is what everyone told me. Once I am skiing I am fine, it getting on and off the ski lift where I have problems. I only fell down twice though- the first time I got off the ski left and another time trying to walk up this hill to get to the ski left. I still have no idea how one walks up a hill in skis! It seems impossible to me! I think there must be a magic way to do it because every time I tried I started skiing backwards and I could not stop. . . needless to say this is terrifying.  I also had a few problems with the ski lift itself… My lesson went well except for the fact that it was in Italian..I didn’t really think about this as a problem but it was much more difficult to learn to ski in Italian than it would have been if I learned in English… overall fantastic, fantastic experience! I can’t wait to go skiing again!

No comments:

Post a Comment